Sunday, December 4, 2011

Are you dieing to hear?

There are many great things about being in a wedding party.  Some of my favourites are the early access to seeing the Bride's dress, having my hair and make up done, champagne with breakfast, and dressing up more than I usually do. 

This wedding was a really nice day, the weather was gorgeous. The votive candles I found in Bloomington worked perfectly, interspersed around different herbs growing in jam jars and place names written on leaves with a heart hole-punched out.  All the Aunties loved the dresses.  Silver/grey bridesmaid dresses with an interesting wrap detail, high neck and cute little poof sleeves.  Maybe I'll be able to wear this bridesmaids dress again!?  The big white dress was kind of phenomenal.  Empire cut, silk with lace over the bodice and a full skirt.  We had pink and green bouquets.  Can you picture it yet?  

The food was delicious.  There were huge New Zealand mussels for canapes, as well as different bruschetta with salmon etc.  I had a calamari entree and a scotch fillet the size of my head, cooked perfectly medium rare, nice and bloody in the middle, for my main.  I ate it all, too.  Oh, and chocolate mousse, homemade chocolate icecream and a toffee pistachio praline for pudding.  With plenty of NZ vino and bubblies in between. Then mum's decadent wedding chocolate cake for supper. 

Over the past 14 years or so, weddings have been the main way I meet up with extended family as we all live so far apart.  This may have been the last wedding from all the cousins - there have been 13 and I managed to attended 11 of them.  I hope we can still find excuses to reconnect.

entree - hors dourves in New Zealand
scotch fillet - ribeye steak

6 comments:

  1. Let's see some pics, it sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably post pics on facebook! Or my sister will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to meet you in the weekend Annabel! This blog is sweet--I think I shall enjoy reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...15! (4 x 3)+2 +1 = 15

    Plus you made a georgeous braidsmaid!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. FIFTEEN, I didn't go to two of them, you're not counting the Short side AND THREE aren't married from the Kirkby side. That means 17 cousins, minus two weddings that I didn't go to, minus three that aren't married...oh, that's 12. Maybe I wasn't counting my own!? equals 11.

    HEY STEPH, Welcome!

    You were both gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it comes to a point in numbers where you just have to stop counting cousins and just call'em all whanau :p

    ReplyDelete