Friday, December 16, 2011

Another Great Pairing

We had our Christmas book club meeting last night.  When I say that, it sounds as though I'm a regular attender and have been going a long time. In reality, last night was my first time.  It was fun.

I brought homemade chocolate truffles to the meeting and someone else happened to bring yummy mandarins.  It reminded that for a few years, I was obsessed by the combination of chocolate, orange, and coffee.  They have to be good oranges, none of those watery, seed filled clementines that Jbird and I have had recently.  I'm not very fussy about the chocolate but I probably prefer dark at the moment.  

Revisiting the combination brings back memories.  Mandarins were my childhood afternoon tea staple for many years as we had all these fruit trees in the back yard.  I first discovered my enjoyment of all three together in Bangladesh where chocolate and good coffee are (were) hard to come by.  I later revisited them in our first year in Baltimore when my brother was visiting us for Christmas. 

Are there any food combinations or memories that you savour?

3 comments:

  1. I pretty much won't eat kiwifruit, unless it's served thickly sliced on hot buttered toast. And I don't see why people always expect me to justify this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade chocolate truffles aye? I've been contemplating making some
    for a few years now but that's one thing i haven't done yet. I've been
    waiting to discover a really yummy recipe, what's yours like?

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anderina! wow, that's an interesting one. I'm glad you could comment, Sue. Check out the recipe I use, I emailed it to you and will post it here too.

    kisses to both of you!

    ReplyDelete