Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How American are you?

Sweet As.  I used to say that a lot.  It probably means no problem or oshubida ney (in Bangla).  I still say the latter, in my head.  On moving to Bangladesh, my Texan friend informed me she thought I was telling her she had a sweet ass when she first heard me say it.  Oh, a sweet arse?  But I don't say arse like ass!  Truth be told, I did say arse a lot too, but it's slipped from my vocab.  I've replaced it with stink.  For now.  I still don't say ass, but I do say ya'll.  Also, trash, sweater and cookieBickie, as in NZ biscuit which is a cookie.  Instead I buy biscuits which are scones in a pre-baked tube - they're too delicious to snub in the refrigerator aisle.  I often have a snack, it's replaced afternoon tea and is something I take with me in case I'm hungry later, but morning tea still happens at 10am.  I'm pretty sure we continue to have tea as dinner and pudding for dessert but my coffee is milky, not black.  I knit with yarn which may have a wool blend but is no longer ever referred to as wool.

Jbird says tomato like potato and he pours half and half into everything.  I do not.

5 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the first sentence of this post I immediately thought of a friend of mine - of course, he is from NZ. This post made me laugh about language and vocabulary, in particular I am completely mixed up between American English and British English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This visit I did start to notice you saying more Americanisms. Like 'sitter' instead of 'babysitter'. But that's to be expected! Because I grew up around all these internationals I have all sorts of words I still say which kiwis laugh at. So I'm glad you have joined the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the club is unavoidable. I even drank black coffee today because I wanted to. It's all part of the indoctrination.

    Taara, I imagine Brazil is a bit of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tutor in te reo Maori used to say "sweet as a kumara". Which probably still wouldn't make sense where you are. Do you say ketchup now? Jello? As long as you still spell colour with a U and realise with an S we can still be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use ketchup and tomato sauce interchangeably - they use the phrase 'tomato sauce' for pasta sauce so it means a different things and if I ask for tomato sauce, they don't know what to pass me! I'm not soooo into saying jello but I can't help it at times. I retain said spelling and I'm glad to remain your friend!

    ReplyDelete