Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Bread Puddin'

I always thought of Bread Pudding as soggy bread with raisins.  How do raisins help a situation such as that?  I was never sure: it seemed to me they would only make the dish worse.  I have been eating sandwiches since I was a young girl and the day the bread was soggy in my lunch box was a day I skipped lunch.  In those days, it was all on white bread too, we wouldn’t eat any other bread, and white bread is no match for a little bit of moisture.

My good friend in Baltimore taught me I was wrong in my presumption.  She gave me a recipe which involved croissants, egg yolks, sugar, cream, and chocolate chips.  Ever since then, I have been reformed in my thinking and have tried any number of good flavours in my bread puddings.  I guess chocolate chips are my favourite as Jbird was confused why I would put raisins into it, he only remembers it with chocolate chips! 

We had some left over Christmas Panettone.  It was dry and old from three days of sitting out on the buffet table.  So I made bread pudding for breakfast.  Cheeky.

No comments:

Post a Comment