Sunday, December 11, 2011

Changing Skies

Flying west across the States on my way here, I had a surreal moment as the plane I was in chased a setting sun.   I had been day-dreaming about the trip to come when I suddenly realised I'd watched the same sunset for 4 hours.  I felt suspended in time.

Driving north to Auckland this afternoon, I was mesmerised by the sky.  It was full of beautiful deep, purple-black clouds dropping fat rain drops while adjacent to me were sunlit hills and the bright Waikato river.  It could have been one of those pictures you draw as a child, rainbow and lightening flashes included.

I do like to observe the sky and I've recently been wondering what it would be like if it were the same every day, if it were constantly blue or constantly grey.  If the sun never set, or maybe it never rose.  Everything would be different.  Seasons, vegetation, comfort. We'd never regulate our sleeping patterns.  The position, shape and size of your house wouldn't matter.   I'm sure it would be quite boring too.

With that thought came the realisation that perhaps the magnificent of a beautiful sunset is found in the culmination of that particular moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment