Sunday, December 18, 2011

Shall I start a collection?

Do you collect something unusual?  I have friends that own more than thirty nativity sets, other friends who must have about the same number of cuckoo and chiming clocks, and some that own hundreds of ornamental frogs.  Jbird and I have a few of this, a few of that, but no big collection.  

I've tried to start collections in the passed but I feel as though these things happen by accident.  You don't start out thinking: "I'm going to start a collection of...", you just have one and like it.  Then you see another and like that too so you buy it.  As it is, the things we cherish are in storage.  We try not to feel too attached to items we have here, we know how expensive it will be to get them all back to NZ.  Sometimes when we're given something, we say to each other: "This is going back home with us."  Only a few lucky items have this category attached to them, and even they may have to be discarded.  

I wonder if this position prohibits the beginning of a collection or if in 15 years time, we'll have found we own a collection.  I wonder what it will be.

3 comments:

  1. Can you remember downstairs on the little wooden shelf Justin has a collection of tiny antique brass ornaments. He started collecting them when he was about 7 or 8 years old. Each month he would send away for the next one until he'd filled the whole shelf up. We've always loved that little collection and were quite amazed that a little boy would want to do that, with his own money as well. It's a real treasure and it's yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does inadvertently buying fabric, just be/cos you like it, without any real purpose for it...count??
    Considering I have a full glory box full of fabric...plus some additional plastic bins, I think I might have a collection/fabriholic.
    PS - love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha, that's definitely a collection, Sarah. Yes, we look forward to getting our stuff out of your house, Sue and using it!

    ReplyDelete