Friday, December 30, 2011

An Incredible Journey

Last night I watched the doco. - Turtles: An Incredible Journey.  It put my life into a new perspective.  Loggerhead turtles start their life digging, for three days, and then they swim some 70 miles.  Only when they find a raft of seaweed on the Gulf Stream do they finally sleep for the first time in their lives.  The next 21 years are spent swimming through several oceans, finally mating and returning to their home beach.  Despite the odds, they have outlived dinosaurs.  Man can't get in their way, though we try hard enough. 

I swam with wild turtles once, on a visit to Malaysia.  It felt kind of amazing, like I was engaging in something bigger than me.  I hadn't even seen the doco.  I have a friend who once stayed awake all night on a beach in Malaysia, hoping to see the Leatherback turtle come in to lay their eggs.  They grow to be the size of a mini cooper.  No kidding.

I just think they're kinda neat, that's all.  Not mysterious though, not when you know of the Great Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment