Monday, December 12, 2011

Haere Ra, Aotearoa

Farewell NZ, land of the long white cloud

Yesterday was the never ending Sunday – 42 hours long.  It started with breakfast and church with the Stakkas.  I had lunch with my parents at the airport but by then I was itching to leave.  

The flight from AKL-LAX is an okay flight.  It starts mid afternoon and simulates night time which helps me to start changing my body clock to the new time zone, when we leave the plane it is morning.  The staff and food are kiwi, giving me the feeling I have not yet left NZ: muesli for breakfast, plunger coffee, a kiwi sense of humour.  Like moving a pot plant from the humid green house into a dessert environment, LAX thrusts me in the States.  There is no sense of order to the lines at immigration, people are tired and cranky from the long flight and forget how to be polite, and I am grilled by the immigration officer when my head cannot quite think straight.  

Following this is a day of further travel.  LAX-Denver-Indianapolis-Bloomington.  I take short cat naps, not sure if I’m asleep and then dead to the world.  Trying to regulate my body temperature, my feet are often cold.  I don’t know if I’m hungry or sick.  I’m fed peanuts, coffee, and a few crackers from home.  

Arriving home, Jbird greets me with flowers, a smile and a hug.  He has tidied the house, strung the Christmas lights.  I distribute small gifts to him and Soph.  I sleep well.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, welcome back to Btown. I hope you had a lovely time. I look forward to hearing about it. Have a wonderful Christmas, friend.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel - I'm glad to be back! Looking forward to Christmas with my hubby and sister-in-law. We'll catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete