Monday, January 16, 2012

A Surprise Gift

The problem with drinking coffee everyday is that your expectations keep rising.  Jbird is not a coffee drinker and he recently wondered why I often comment on the quality of my coffee that day.  I explained about beans getting old, adding too much water or milk, or not enough, drinking it at the right temperature, and the peculiarities that come with each different coffee making device.  

My espresso machine only produces steam for the milk froth as the coffee drips through.  This means I need to add exactly the right amount of water at the beginning and be ready with the milk as it starts dripping.  Also, the beans that I use are always pre-ground and a little old so I've taken to storing them in the fridge.  This doesn't provide the best brew but it will extend the life of the beans a bit...sort of.  Don't forget that we live on a tight budget so replacing older coffee isn't an option.  Buying a grinder isn't an option either.
 
I got a lovely birthday present in the post today - a coffee grinder AND a plunger!  It's not often such an exciting surprise arrives.  I love plunger coffee, it's rich and oily.  It may just be my favourite kind of coffee and I am excited to have a change in my usual coffee making routine.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I'm the same way with tea! I can tell good quality from the imitation stuff. But coffee...now that's a different story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly! As for me with tea: I drink a lot of it too but in a lazy way, without thinking. I have to admit that I have a bag of loose leaf from Darjeeling and another from Kathmandu - they're over five years old now! It might be time to throw them out...

    ReplyDelete