Thursday, January 26, 2012

Savings Galore/It's All About the Moolah

I spent the first three years of my working career hating Mondays.  This bled into Tuesdays and Wednesdays and then a general dread of Sundays because Monday was the next day.  I was hating a larger portion of my week than I enjoyed so I decided that I would have to start looking for something good in every day of the week. 

My good thing about Thursdays is grocery shopping.  As a redeemed shop-a-holic, it's a little release for those old feelings of joy on finding a good bargain.  

Today, I found two great bargains on things that I know would normally take up a third of my budget.  The first one was 100 loads of washing detergent, the Pyrex hypoallergenic kind, which my skin doesn't hate me for, for just $5.39.  Wow.  It was a close out sale and I was tempted to buy two.  However, that big bottle will last us nearly two years, as it is, and what if we don't end up sticking around for that long?  I'm a little skeptical - what have they put in that stuff that makes them need to close out?  I thought it was golden, apart from normally being a little bit pricey.

Bargain number two: I was in dire need of razors.  I have put off buying them for a long time because I hate the cheap disposable ones, and the other kind are super expensive.  Well.  There was another closeout sale AND I had a $2 coupon.  I bought a fancy venus gillette with three cartridges for just $4.86!  It's normally at least $12 and maybe even closer to $20 in NZ.

I was happy to use another coupon for some B6 tablets, saving a glorious $3 from the cheapest ones I could find online.  I was even happier to splash out on artichoke hearts, blackberry jam, nutella, and a (reduced price) lovely steak for our valentines meal.

After a projected savings of $30 (including the other store savings), bringing my bill down from $95 to $64, I feel as though Kroger were paying me to shop.  Of course, this is the problem with us shop-a-holics - we see 'saving' as free money.  It's not.  $64 is actually a little more than we budget for.  Luckily I only spent $40 last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment