Thursday, January 19, 2012

Practice Schmactice

My students only come once a week, for 30 minutes or an hour.  The best type of lesson follows a week of at least 2 or 3 practice sessions at home.  Without that, nothing that was taught in the previous lesson is consolidated, little to no improvement happens, and the student's motivation levels teeter.  

I had two interesting lessons this week, where a certain 5 year flatly refused to continue with their lesson just five minutes into it.  Another where a young adult had a bad week at work and didn't manage to practice at all.  I felt like I was a DVD on repeat.   

We all live complicated lives, don't we? We strive to advance through our own progressive stages, but we're not always able to.  I wonder if these students are facing the winter blues, I know I am.  Luckily I have my coffee and my books. And I don't have to go to any violin lessons...

No comments:

Post a Comment