Friday, January 6, 2012

Putting in the hard yards

Following that cold snap I complained about earlier in the week, we have had some gorgeous, mild afternoons.  This inspired me to get back in the garden.  If you saw our garden, you'd say to me: "What could you possibly have to do in that?"  At the moment, it's merely a 4m by 3m by 3m triangle of dirt and remember, we're in the middle of a (possibly) snowy winter.  

Unfortunately, the dirt is not in the best of condition.  I keep finding more broken rocks, so I'm trying to remove them all, piece by piece.  There are a few weeds that have also been making the most of this lovely weather which I'm pulling while they're small.  Jbird was given some secateurs for a late birthday present so I pruned a vine that had been a tangled mess by our front door.  Hopefully it will grow back prettier in the spring.  We don't own a spade and it's roots seem to run too low to completely remove.  There's a mysterious orange root I keep hitting.  I don't think it's the poison ivy I know is hiding there somewhere, I wonder what it could be?  I stabbed our compost with the trowel yesterday and it is looking lovely and rotty at the bottom.  I cannot wait to spread it when I plant some seeds.  In the meantime, stay away vermin!  I have only ever seen a few worms, I hope they dug down deep enough to survive the freeze we had.

If you have any ideas of things that would help my garden, please let me know!  I'm hoping that these little bits of work will pay off, come spring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment