Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tetchy to get out

Rain and snow has the ability to dictate our movements at the moment, especially as we don't own a car.  Yesterday it unexpectedly snowed.  The weather forecast was unable to predict the amount of snow there would be so I kept thinking it would clear and I'd be able to keep the date I'd made with Soph to go downtown.  It was a really windy day so even though there was snow for most of the day, not much of it piled up. But it was the worst kind of weather to be out in.

This left me feeling very unsettled.  I couldn't make myself sit still for very long and do any of the activities I know I want to do yet feel uninspired by.  By the time evening came I was a crabby goose.  I know I shouldn't be impatient, and instead feel pleased that I don't have to be anywhere.  There's nothing worse than being forced out on a day it's just too cold to be out in.  But this is the nature of my head.

Despite all this, I'm hoping for a big dumping of the stuff, with a beautiful clear day following the dump, making the outside world surreal.  That is my favourite type of snow.

4 comments:

  1. What is this word "tetchy"? I have never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...like...irritated, I guess! I don't think I made it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The origin is listed as 'unknown' on dictionary.com, it's from 1585-95!! That's a tad older than us kiwis. Meaning: irritable; touchy.

    ReplyDelete