Thursday, October 18, 2012

Some special music

We have been charged with choosing any music we want for the aisle walks at the wedding on Saturday.  What a responsibility!  The couple are special people.  They bonded over the appalachian trail.  He walked it in 2011 and she walked it in 2012.  Do you know of the trail?  I recommend Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods to get an idea of the feat of walking it.  It takes months to cover.  Marie went through four backpacks and I can't say how many pairs of shoes. 

Back to them.  They started dating after she had decided to make the walk and he became her trail magic while on the walk, bringing her treats and necessary equipment, taking her out for restaurant meals, and walking with her for long stretches.  She walked all the way from Maine to Georgia and he walked from Georgia to Maine.  That's 1400 miles one way.  It's not a completely comfortable walk either.  If you'd like to read about her journey, or see some of his photos, you can go to the blog she wrote - Southbound.  I was an avid reader.  He decided to propose to her on a special peak during the walk, his timing was a complete surprise to her.  Unfortunately, the weather was awful and she just wanted to get off the mountain and wasn't sure why he was waylaying things.  An exciting surprise. 

I heard a pretty Scottish violin duet on the radio one afternoon and I quickly found the link on the internet.  It's called Leaving Lerwick Harbour.  I could only find the melody line sheet music so I had Jbird listen to the duet and transcribe it onto sheet music.  I'm glad he did it quickly because the link was erased the next day.  Unfortunately it's not there for me to share with you.  I wish you could her it though, it's really nice.  And it happens to be very fitting for the music that has come out of Appalachia.  I imagine people first came there during early settlement, people from such places as Scotland and England.  For the pre-wedding music, I have had to piece together any duets I could find and thanks to my Irish band, I have a lot of bluegrass type tunes as well as some classical pieces.  Marie and I bonded over bluegrass, she attends a festival every year.  I'm not completely sure about the end of wedding music yet but we have a few options.  It's been fun to prepare for this together and we're both looking forward to seeing some lovely friends from our time in B'more.

No comments:

Post a Comment