Sunday, October 14, 2012

Don't drive over the soup

The weather is getting noticeably cooler which leaves me wanting soup for lunch.  Every day.  Today I made some spicy butter-nut squash and carrot soup.  With a dollop of sour cream and some buttery toast, I was a happy girl.

For the first three months of our marriage, we lived in the flat in my mother's basement.  It was winter and every Sunday, I'd make soup and home made bread in the bread maker.  When you have a bread maker, it's barely a job.  We'd often have it for dinner that night and then for our lunch at work during the week.  One Sunday we were going over to my sister's for lunch and I had offered to take the soup and bread to share with everybody.  I think my sister made a quiche.  Anyway, we were kind of running late.  I had everything at Jbird's car but I needed to get something from inside so I put the soup in its pot on the little curb by the car.  The bread was on top, wrapped in a clean teatowel.  While I was inside, Jbird started to gently back the car out of the drive way, trying to avoid all the other cars that were parked there, when I heard this kathunk sound.  What was that, Jbird?  He didn't know but when I got to the soup, the bread it had rolled (in its teatowel) onto the concrete driveway.  

As we drove to my sister's, I did some detective work.  The pot was looking a little bit out of shape.  Not unusable, but out of shape.  I came to the conclusion that as Jbird was backing out, he'd driven over the top of the soup, brushing the bread off the pot.  Nothing had been lost - the soup was safe inside the pot, the bread had remained wrapped, clean, and unsquashed - but I'm not sure I've ever eaten soup which had been driven over in a car for lunch before.  It was still very delicious.  The pot itself is a beautiful pot, a present from my sisters and brother-in-law for our wedding.  For those first three months, I used it for many of the meals I cooked, and it survived the ordeal of being driven over.  Now it is linked to a little piece of our story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment