Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What's in the tape player?

When we were little, my dad drove a Mercedes.  I believe it was in this very car in which he once lost his driver's license because of too many infringements.  They were mostly speeding, but he also wouldn't wear his seatbelt.  Don't worry, none of his kids have lost our licenses, even with that fantastic role model.

It was also in that car that I was introduced to some Violin Concertos by Great Masters thanks to one of the tapes he'd put on repeat in the tape player.  The Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E minor was on there and so was the Bruch Violin Concert in G minor, among others. 

Last night I went to a concert put on by the European Union Youth Orchestra.  Soph's teacher, Mark Kaplan, was their guest soloist and he played the Bruch Violin Concerto in G minor.  You can listen to the three movements here, here, and here.  It was such a delight to hear Soph's teacher play live, in the flesh.  I got to see him teach recently, and I've heard him on the radio a number of times.  

It was also a delight to watch a tune I know so well performed live.  Isn't it lovely how music can bring back a different time in your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment