Monday, April 9, 2012

Some Easter traditions

This was my third Good Friday in the States and I was once again surprised to find that it's not a public holiday in this fair country.  A day off was one of those things I'd taken for granted so I struggle to remember now that it's not to be taken for granted.

Good Friday is hot cross bun day and I put some in the fridge to rise over night.  I am normally a stickler for keeping them simple with just raisins but I added some mixed fruit left over from Christmas's fruit cake and was surprised by how delicious these turned out.  The smell lingered through the house for most of the morning.  Too bad Jbird is still suffering from allergies and couldn't smell them at all.

We received some Easter Eggs from my mum in the post last week and we enjoyed gorging on them on Easter Sunday.  She sent some real good kiwi flavours too: cadbury creme eggs, pineapple lump marshmallow eggs and jaffas.  Though the latter were not in egg form, they were much appreciated.  I haven't stumbled across any marshmallow eggs here.  They're not my go-to egg but I certainly missed them when I couldn't find them.

Dad sent some Easter eggs to Bangladesh the year I left.  The post is so bad over there, they didn't arrive until 3 months after he sent them, a few weeks after I'd gone.  No eggs for me that year but my friends enjoyed the chocolate in my absence.  Wax-less/good chocolate is a scarce commodity in Bangladesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment