Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Tricky Ones

I read an inspiring chapter this week for my class, Understanding Children with Behavioural Problems.  It was all about being unafraid to show our own infallibility, having a high tolerance for behaviour even though it doesn't necessarily match what we learned was 'right' and 'good' when we were growing up. Listening rather than telling, guiding towards socially acceptable behaviour rather than taking a strong stand.  I could go on.  They are such lovely, big ideals to have when faced with a difficult child in the classroom. 

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting, I've been thinking about some of these same things, but just for children in general. 'Right' behaviour doesn't have to happen 'right now' I think - sometimes you can trust that they will get there through gentle, continuous encouragement, rather then brut demanded obedience. Esp. when they are little. It's hard to explain to people though, our culture is so about children fitting in and around adults and instant independence (whether they are developmental ready or not) instead of taking their needs seriously. You can tell I have a toddler in the house eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, imagine a 'naughty' toddler, ten times enlarged with 30 other children in the class! It can be super frustrating. I'm glad not to have that at the moment but I hope I'll be able to suck it up and get back in there one day! Perhaps I'll have grown in wisdom and maturity...

    ReplyDelete