Thursday, April 5, 2012

In Marmageddon News

The shortage of Marmite in New Zealand has brought to light some of the long term effects - job losses, company closures - of the Christchurch earthquakes that have ravished the South Island city since September 2010.  I believe Sanitarium distributes to Australia, don't they have stock that New Zealand could borrow from? 

I don't crave many New Zealand food items but marmite is definitely one of them.  I always have a jar, since my first international move in 2005.  We forgot to bring a jar with us when we first moved to Baltimore, the move was so overwhelming, but some cousins came through and sent us a care package.  Now I pick up a new jar every time I go home - whether we need it or not.  It's a slow condiment to get through, we slather just a little on a slice of toast every now and again, but I opened a new jar today.  We had two unopened ones in our pantry and I was sure to choose the one with the closest best-by date.  

It was satisfying, in a way, to sink my knife for the first time into the previously untouched mold, knowing I had been careful to stockpile in preparation for this moment.  I wonder if Sanitarium will be up and running again by the time we need to get more?  I'm not keen to buy the British kind that is probably available here.  I also wonder if you were one of those to rush the stores when news of the shortage got out?

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I tried marmite in England and hated it... perhaps it's an acquired taste. I hope you enjoyed yours though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget you were eating British marmite! It's quite different. (ew) And did you have it spread sparingly over melting butter on toasted vogel bread? NO! I bet not! No self-respecting kiwi would share their vogels in ENGLAND! Therefore, you have not yet tried the best marmite setting and your jury is not out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA! Okay, I concede to your immaculate argument here. I'm up for trying anything once!

    ReplyDelete