Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ants ants everywhere

With the warm weather came the ants, they are investigating our kitchen. They have not yet found the pantry or the sugar bowl but they are on the hunt and they will.  They are beginning to drive me crazy.  I squash one and four more miraculously appear.  We leave anything sugary in the trash and they swarm to it.  I clean and clean and clean but I don't think I can keep it up!

We had the maintenance man bung up a hole they seemed to be pouring through but they found another entrance.  I have laid dried mint leaves which I heard would divert them.  They're diverted - around the leaves and continuing on their original path.  I don't want to lay poison.    Poison will work, but I don't want it in my garden.  Poisoning our worms and contaminating our vegetables. Do you have any better solutions? 

2 comments:

  1. We had a bad ant problem and nothing seemed to work until someone told us to use one of those bug spray things that send out a little jet of spray every 15 minutes (you can find them in the supermarket, Kate sells them I think!). It's the oddest thing because it's meant for flies but it totally worked! After a couple of days they stopped and haven't come back. We don't have it on all the time, usually just a couple of hours a day when ant season is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it just deters them, doesn't take poison out? KATE! Can you send me one? Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete