Monday, April 2, 2012

Visiting Faculty

Joshua Bell is part of the violin faculty here at IU.  Who is he?  I would describe him as America's answer to Nigel Kennedy, without the punk costumes/persona.  Young, hip, good at the violin.  I mean, really good.  He must be pretty famous, because even I've heard of him.  But he's probably, maybe...a bit of a show pony?  I will let you make your own opinion on that one. Jbird dislikes my comparison between these two world class violinists but I think it's a pretty good one.

He's in town this week and he offered us just one concert, for the music school's students, staff, and faculty only: I went in Jbird's place.  He played some chamber music with other faculty and students.   The program was a Mozart viola quintet and a Dvorak piano quintet.  I have to say I'm not a big fan of chamber music unless I'm playing in it.  I just find it kind of boring...I have a similar response to orchestral music.  Unless I know it well or it has some really memorable themes that I notice, I kind of zone out.  That being said, the Mozart was beautiful but I have to admit that I zoned out a little, my thoughts drifted...The Dvorak, on the other hand, was dramatic, exciting, fun.  Everything I need in chamber music to keep my attention.  It was a great opportunity for the students who were chosen to play with him and I'm sure they worked hard for the privilege.

One of the violinists that Jbird accompanies had a lesson with the maestro and needed Jbird to twinkle those ivories.  Jbird thought Mr. Bell was a great teacher - he was particularly glad that the he chose to demonstrate to the student often throughout the lesson as Jbird then had a lot of chances to play with him.  Amazing, huh?  That is one of the reasons we are here.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey, even I'VE heard of him! He's the one in the subway busking experiment, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The very same! Secretly, Jbird was always a bit like that to me when I was younger. The myth of someone famous...

    ReplyDelete