Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Happy Anzac Day!

ANZAC day is our memorial day.  It's 'happy' because it's a public holiday (unhappy if it falls in the weekend).  Placed strategically at the end of summer, the day starts with a dawn ceremony, and ends with a barbeque with friends.  You may watch a war doco somewhere in between, or visit a war memorial museum, hopefully while eating some ANZAC biscuits*.

The story goes that these bickies* were often sent to the ANZAC soldiers during the war.  Made with oats, golden syrup, dessicated coconut, and other biscuit type ingredients, they were hardy enough to survive the long months before the package was placed in the hands of the soldier.  They must have arrived hard as a rock and barely edible!  Sound unappealing?  Since then the recipe has been doctored a fair bit and of they're delicious now.  

They're the primary reason I stock up on golden syrup every time I go home.  I'm still not happy with any recipes I have used here in the States though, because of the flour conundrum.  This year I used an Australian recipe, taking out some of the flour.  I got them to taste right but I still can't get the ideal crispness.  I may have to bake another batch. 

Failing a good war doco, I'm reading Catch-22.  I started it once before, but I was 19 and couldn't find the motivation to get into it.  I would love to read Tu by Patricia Grace but I don't fancy my chances finding it here.

ANZACs are the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps, so named in WWI. ANZAC day commemorates the day the ANZACs attacked the Gallipolli Peninsula.  It was meant to be a bold strike but turned into an eight month stalemate, and they were finally evacuated in December.  The day is now used to remember all soldiers who fought and were lost at war for Australia and New Zealand.  Read more about ANZAC day here.

*biscuits/bickies = cookies

1 comment:

  1. aHA. I have always wondered what it stood for when it shows up on my calendar! Also if you need a biscuit taster... I'm just sayin..

    ReplyDelete