Sunday, April 29, 2012

A little rain, please?

I am a sun cat, rain has never been my favourite item on the agenda.  Because we bike everywhere, rain often means I cancel plans to go out: biking in the rain is no fun.  Recently, strangely, I have found myself looking forward to rain and being happy that it was going to rain and annoyed if it looked like rain but did not.  When we mention the weather during usual everyday small talk, rain comes up with a smile on my lips.  I wonder if you have already guessed why?  

A small reason is that the sun is an unnecessary distraction from my studies.  It is an excuse to sit outdoors or work in our garden.  I sometimes try reading outdoors but often find myself dozing off.  

The biggest reason for my rather severe change in preference is for the positive impact on the growth in our garden.  It makes a huge difference, having both sun and rain on our plants.  Things spring up, they gain colour.  It's lovely.  My method of watering the garden is very time consuming and it does not compare.  In the absence of a hose or even an outdoor tap, I literally have to carry jug after jug of water out to soak the soil.  I'm sure the water doesn't penetrate very deeply and I sometimes damage the very little plants.   

It might be obvious to some of you, as it's a pretty logical concept, but I have also noticed that weeding is a lot easier when the soil has been dampened by the rain.  I guess I haven't had a garden since 5 Avondale Rd* in my pre-teen years, and I've forgotten simple things like this.  It rained last night and I kept finding myself in the garden today, picking at those little weeds I don't want to get too big.  It's a more time consuming yet a far more enjoyable distraction than facebook used to be.

*one of the houses we lived in while I was growing up.

2 comments:

  1. I like rain for the same reason (at least the first one) because I feel like I can stay inside and do things like play music and watch Doctor Who and I'm not wasting daylight or sunshine. Haha! Your garden sounds awesome! Glad you are enjoying it even though I barely know what a plant is. bahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, we are loving it. BUT it's not going to win any home and garden competitions. Yet.

    ReplyDelete