Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Rising Day!

It's Soph's birthday today - HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPH - and Easter Sunday.  As a child, we had an Easter tradition of staying at Peter Snell's Youth Village over Easter with members of my Great Aunty Mary's church.  We had some Cook Island friends that came too and they'd always bury an umu early on Easter Sunday morning.  It's basically a roast with all your usual meats, potatoes, and kumura* buried in the ground under hot coals. 

Last year Mum and Dad were visiting us in Baltimore over Easter.  We found a reasonably priced lamb chuck at the farmer's market sired by a New Zealand lamb, and couldn't resist.  I am trying to carry on the tradition, it's the only time in the year that Jbird and I fork out for lamb.  I didn't buy a whole roast - it would have more than doubled our usual budget - I decided chops would suffice.  Delicious looking chops they are, too.  I will also steam some buttery asparagus and roast baby red potatoes with rosemary and garlic.  

Drinks will be equally exciting tonight.  We were in the mood for strawberry daiquiris and pina coladas so I've dusted off the blender, made an excess of ice, and prepared the sugar water.

I can't decide on her birthday cake - she needs a birthday cake - but we have home-made chocolate mousse for dessert.  Yum Scrum! 

*Kumura - NZ Maori name for sweet potato.  Generally purple skinned.

4 comments:

  1. I settled on mini chai tea cupcakes. We watched the dvd Courageous which her parents had sent her for a bday pressie and had bday candles and dessert during a brief intermission. With some plunger coffee, it was kind of a perfect dessert. Except that I ate half of Jbird's chocolate mousse as well as my own and went to bed STUFFED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts always make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All man's efforts are for his mouth, yet his appetite is never satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I have been in a chocolate mousse coma for three days now...

    ReplyDelete