Sunday, March 17, 2013

Banana-slam-a-grams

We've been introduced to a new game - bananagrams - and I'm hooked.  The introducees had three copies so they lent us one of them.  I even play alone on occasion and whenever I am about to spend any time with anyone, I take it with me just in case we get a chance to play.  It's really easy to explain - which is a nice reprieve from our usual rule-laden-German-board-game-fetish - and it can be a quick game, or played multiple times over a whole evening.  It also allows for conversation, especially if the people playing are not super competitive.  It's a word game, similar to scrabble, except FUN (no offence, A. McLean).  It offers lots of opportunities to play around with your letters, rearranging them into different words if needed.  Although you're competing against someone else, your word board is independent of theirs.  In stark contrast to this, when I play scrabble I often feel overwhelmed by the others' words, stuck for ideas, and then regret placements I make.  Probably some practice at it would help me but I'm so put off by it, I decline any offer of a game.   

Here are the boards my friend and I made last night while we gossiped about our husbands and ate chilli-corn bread pie out of mason jars. They may it look easier than it is.  This first one is mine - that 'c' at the top kept getting in my way last night.  I had some great stuff going with the 'x' but had to rearrange to fit in new letters as they were added.  The second is my friend'sShe won.



No comments:

Post a Comment