Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday breakfast

I'm still trying to establish some Easter traditions in our little family across the ocean and Good Friday breakfast is one of them.  Luckily we don't have Friday morning commitments or the non-public-holidayness of the day here in the States might get in our way.

I have managed to perfect my sourdough hot cross bun recipe after another practice batch last weekend and took the ingredients to work yesterday so they would be on their final rise in the fridge in time for breakfast this morning.  I think they were the best batch I've made this year - lots of spice, plenty of raisins and fruit, and ready just when I wanted them to be - but I had some frozen ones from last weekend's batch just in case they didn't work out.  Although I swear by the sourdough method for the flavour and texture of the bread, I haven't established my method enough to the point that I trust it will work when I want it to.  I am very happy with the starter I'm currently using, I hope I can keep it alive.

For a savoury dish I made a Julia Child quiche, sans pastry.  The name she gave the recipe is Quiche Lorraine (cream and bacon quiche) - a traditional French style quiche.  Thank you Mrs. Child for introducing me to cream in my quiche.  The cream made it so light and fluffy, we didn't notice the lack of pastry.  I highly recommend baking your eggs and bacon in a quiche over cooking them on the stove top for breakfast.  It takes longer but it's far less stressful and they've baked together so they are ready simultaneously.  You can also get a large portion of your dishes finished while you wait so your kitchen is relatively tidy while you eat.

Pink grapefruit and tea were lovely accompaniments to this breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment