Saturday, March 9, 2013

No more sugar: What will I eat instead?

I'm a practical person and I didn't think I can do things without a plan so this was the biggest question I had when considering this quest.  While searching for foods that have the vitamins, minerals, and basic nutrients required to keep me healthy during this pregnancy, I have discovered there are many yummy snacks that don't have white sugar, are really good for me, and that I really enjoy eating.  I've already mentioned I will keep eating fruit.  

I also love:
- raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- raisins
- raw mixed nuts
- celery by itself or with peanut butter 
- raw carrots - I could eat carrots all day
- home made bread toasted with peanut butter or butter - no more jam
- plain unsweetened yoghurt with fresh fruit
- dark chocolate
- crackers and cheese

My most exciting discovery is that I can still eat waffles and pancakes, simply leaving out the small amount of sugar or putting some honey in its place.  I substitute half whole wheat flour into the pancake recipe.  I love topping them with plain yoghurt and fruit.  Hopefully the fruit will be enough of a sweetener because I used to add lemon curd but I can't do that any more. 

Do you have any further suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like pretty good options to me, I love all these foods. I've heard raw carrots are really hard to break down - not that it stops me eating one when I'm preparing dinner! Also a snack I fell in love with was almond butter and avocado together on crackers or toast. Almond butter is more expensive than peanut butter but spread thinly is worth it, very rich in calcium, I always label it in the fridge - Sue only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I'm eating almond butter - and I plan to buy some freshly crunched peanut butter which won't have sugar added too.

    ReplyDelete