Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Kiwi afternoon tea

I often tell people that the food we eat at home is different from the food Americans eat.  When they ask me to elaborate, I'm often at a loss for words.  The differences are too subtle to generalise them in just a few words.  But this afternoon I served my American friend a Kiwi afternoon tea.  I know that it was Kiwi because it reminded me of any number of afternoon teas my mother made for us when we got home from school as kids.  The fact that I call it 'afternoon tea' in the first place is also quite Kiwi.  Here we'd call it a snack.  

She had coffee and I had boiling water with lemon - for us Kiwis, afternoon tea can be any drink you feel like although as a child I would have had cordial* or water.  Or milo* if it was a particularly rainy/cold day.  The food menu was toasted hot cross buns with butter and orange wedges.  She only knew of hot cross buns from the song so I was especially glad to share our good sourdough ones with her.  She has eaten orange wedges in this way, but not as a chosen afternoon snack.  It doesn't remind her of her after school snack.

*cordial: powdered juice
*milo: the only hot chocolate I knew growing up.  It's no way near as chocolatey as other brands. But quite delicious with some marmite on toast.  It's also a common drink in many parts of Asia and probably Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment