Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Reflection on a grow-lamp

I met some hippies at a market recently.  They offered me a free watermelon plant, heard my accent, asked where I came from, and wondered if I could give them access to some specific Tasmanian plant they wanted to grow.  I told them probably not, as we belong to different countries, but we got talking despite their slight geographical confusion.  

Our conversation ambled around gardens, growing, indoor growing, hydroponics.  I even learnt a thing or two about transplanting (light shocks roots, do it at night time).  I asked them about the lack of Vitamin D offered from growing indoors.  Apparently the indoor lighting provides enough that it's even noticeable in their own lack of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) which I have become familiar with during my time in the States.  They then suggested I buy a water-bed as it is a pre-lined container perfect for growing indoor plants, or at least set up a kitchen and bathroom garden.  They obviously haven't seen the size of our bathroom but I told them I'd talk to Jbird.

There are many reasons to grow indoors: containers can be made to self water so that water is reused efficiently, you can grow year-long without worry about frost and snow killing your plants, and now I hear SAD is all but wiped out from your own feeble human condition.  These things aside, I love the hardiness of an outdoor plant, and the reliance on natural conditions which allow it to grow.  We finally had a good rain last night and this morning all these tiny little wild flower seedlings, and larger more dramatic bean seedlings, are unfolding from the earth of a new bed I planted just last week.  Rain always seems to bring 'em out.  I'm not convinced, but I may consider putting a growing lamp in my study, for my own winter blues and perhaps to help the meyer lemon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment