Sunday, May 27, 2012

Lavender-huckleberry

It has been hot hot hot and Jbird and I are craving all things icy and cool.  Weirdly, I am not interested in making ice cream.  At all.  It's completely out of fashion on my to-do list.  I have made frappes and icy cocktails twice a day for more than a month so it's time to move into the weird and wonderful world of popsicles.  The Ice Pops book I got out of the library is very inspirational and today I tried lavender-huckleberry.  What's that, you say?  Lavender and huckleberry pair well?  Well, I've never heard of huckleberry but I have been dying to flavour a food item with home grown lavender ever since I bought a lavender plant at the local farmers market nearly two years ago.  As for the huckleberry, the Internet suggested blueberries as a substitution.  The recipe involved steeping lemon rind with the lavender and I improvised by adding a little unflavoured gelatin. 

Unfortunately, the dollar store popsicle mould just wasn't cutting it so we made a trip down to the local kitchen supply store with our $5 voucher and bought a high-tech mould.  Here's to popsicle moulds that hold their sticks and too many items in the plastics drawer.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree re moulds - I have never got an intact ice block out of my cheap ones yet! Post your revised recipe online so we can try it please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. Annoyingly, Jbird managed to retrieve a popsicle out of the cheap ones today by patiently waiting while he ran warm water over it! I had tried this method but the patience was missing. Humph.

    ReplyDelete