Sunday, May 6, 2012

Democracy in life

Two of my classes are focussing on democracy in schools.  I guess it's the go-to phrase at the moment.  I think it's been a popular idea for years now, I feel as though I am very slow to catch on.

It's all about being accepting of student's viewpoints, really hearing what they have to say, taking it on board, and even portraying it in our own actions.  I was worried that it was a tad humanist, as some of the authors portray it in their humanist educational models, but I have been able to place it into my Christian world view through James' teaching of a foundational lesson in favouritism.  It's easy for us to 'look up' to certain people and to 'look down' on others too.  We don't even have to say anything to do this, we can merely think it.

I have been reflecting on my reactions to my most beloved (Jbird) and realise that I'm not always very democratic in our marriage.  It's a pretty helpful insight.  Just because I don't like something, doesn't mean it's wrong and that I need to convince him of my point of view.  I can tell him, but I ought to listen (really listen) to his point of view too.  Plus, get this, he shouldn't have to tell me what his viewpoint is, he can choose to keep it to himself.

Yes.  It took me three years to realise this. <sigh> I'm just a baby! I'm not saying I've been a dictator in our marriage, either!  Though some of you may sometimes wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment