Wednesday, August 8, 2012

User Pays

This is the only NZ replay I have been able to find from the Olympics.  The only one.  Just in case you don't bother to check it, it's an iphone video of a t.v. screen of NZ winning a gold in rowing.  I viewed exactly 6 minutes of the opening ceremony.  The US and NZ has cut me off.  And I feel mad about it.  NBC has the rights.  I don't have a t.v. and won't subscribe to NBC online.    Even if I chose to pay to watch it here, it would all be US centric.  I'm not that interested in the US's kabillion medals.  Or listening to them pat themselves on the backs. 

No NZ site will allow me to view olympic replays.  I don't really know who they're trying to protect and with our increased global worldliness, I'm not used to being left in the dark.  I read the NZ paper each morning and have mostly  been able to follow how we're doing, but it's getting harder to keep up.  And I want the darn replay!

I happen to be proud of my little country claiming victories.  What's the point of the Olympics anyway, except to promote nationalistic pride? And if I am feeling frustrated, I'm less likely to try to 'participate'.  I'm more likely to start cutting the ties.  

And that's my rant.  Mostly.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you should try this to watch the BBC streaming coverage - http://lifehacker.com/5930437/how-an-american-can-stream-the-bbcs-official-olympics-coverage-and-overcome-nbcfail

    ReplyDelete