Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hopeful fall planting

It's that time in the summer season when gardeners prepare their soil for the fall planting.  Last week I thought it was ludicrous that fall should be coming, it was still uncomfortably hot, but our temperature has dropped to such a pleasant warmth that I can now believe it will get cooler.  I've also heard about the cherry blossoms, lambs, and daffodils making an appearance south in NZ this week so fall coming here really must be true.  

I planted coriander, dill, and a variety of lettuce seeds and am looking forward to fresh greens in my salad again.  I laid two plots, one covered in plastic acting as a green house, the other in all day sun.  I'm waiting hopefully for my melons to grow into a more significant size but they don't seem to want to.  I also saw my first bean on the vine, and I harvest a few tomatoes everyday.  We had a home grown pizza tonight with the main toppings from the garden - sweet pepper, tomato, and courgette.  Topped with fresh herbs, marjoram, thyme, and basil.  A little taste of success: it's enough to start making plans for the garden for another year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment