Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gingerbread deliciousness

In my opinion, ginger works extremely well in sweet treats, ginger crunch and and gingerbread men are up there in my top-twenty treats to bake.  This year I have also been baking this ginger bread recipe which has a yummy chocolate icing*.  The combination of spices in the cake batter and melted chocolate and whole cream in the icing are decadent.  The only change I made was halving the icing recipe as I didn't have time to pipe decorations and I didn't have crystallized ginger.  This left more than enough icing on top.  My in-laws would disagree, but I think crystallized ginger has a funny texture and flavour, and I wouldn't have used it even if it had managed to sneak itself into our pantry.  The cake held its own without.

*icing: glaze

1 comment: