Monday, November 26, 2012

Holiday consumerism

For those of you in NZ who don't know much about Black Friday - which happens the day after Thanksgiving - it's like boxing day sales, except more intense.  People queue up at the doors of shops for hours to try and be in first to get the best deal.  The shops have been opening earlier every year.  When we first arrived it was around 7am, then 6am, then 4am, and this year it was at midnight on Thanksgiving day.  The deals are pretty phenomenal too but Justin and I stay away from them.  We don't have money to spend anyway and find the decision making process too hard because when we are spending money on something, it always needs a huge deliberation.  Cyber Monday is the following Monday and many online stores offer discounts or free shipping.  There are a few things I like to buy online like my cereal and shampoo so I shop around for the best deal and normally manage to save a few pennies.  It's pretty annoying though, looking out for the best deal, and I probably end up buying things I don't exactly need.  

This year I nearly convinced myself to get a sewing machine as I have a birthday coming up...in two months.  I found some decent basic ones for less than $100.  I had to do a deep soul search and realised that though I would hopefully make use of it, it's another hobby.  Hobbies cost money.  I would be buying material and thread, and probably ending up with a stash of material I won't use, as I have with wool for my knitting/crocheting and seeds for the garden.  And when/if we leave here, the machine will be the wrong electricity level for NZ.    I'm not exactly the world's best knitter and crocheter so I might just keep working on those for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment