Monday, November 19, 2012

A step away from my front door

The morning Andy, Nicole, Mum, and Dad were all here we were all mulching around.  Andy was online reading the paper, Jbird was re-writing an essay (having lost a section of it on our trip to St. Louis which showed up later in the pocket of the suitcase), and we were all being lazy about showering and getting our breakfast together.  Eventually I got a bit frustrated because the morning was going and I had an appointment in the afternoon so I said to Mum and Nicole: Let's go check out the great international store around the corner while we wait for everyone else to get ready.  I called it an international store naively because it's the place I always think to visit when I'm craving something from home.  I probably won't be able to find the exact item there but I might be able to find a substitute from another British colony.  Actually, there's hardly anything from NZ there except wine and licorice allsorts (!!!).

As we were leaving, the boys all jumped into gear, feeling guilty for their lazy ways (except Jbird who had to go to school), and suddenly we had a party of five.  On arriving at the store, Dad and Andy were both immediately bored but Mum, Nicole, and I quickly became immersed in the wonders of this store.  It seriously has everything.  For example I went in there this afternoon looking for wheat germ, brewer's yeast, brazil nuts, dried apricots, and alfalfaThe only item I didn't find was the alfalfa.  It is also a wealth of any herbal remedy you can think of, and has a huge selection of wine, cheese, olives, and teas.  

This is a stark contrast to when we first arrived in America.  The first store I found was basically a booze store which also sold a few grocery items.  I wondered if we'd be eating two minute noodles and overpriced sugary cereal for dinner for the extent of our stay here.  When I eventually found some real supermarkets I was overwhelmed for a while, especially when I tried perusing the freezer sections which generally consist of aisles and aisles and aisles of processed/pre-prepared food.  More freezers than any kiwi girl can imagine.  I've learned to avoid this section except when looking for frozen berries, peas, and a few other things.  Probably those items you most expect to find in the freezer section at home.

NB: if you live in Bloomington, the store is the east side Sahara Mart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment