Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cooking frenzy

I have particularly busy Wednesdays and Thursdays while my Tuesdays are all but blank.  This Tuesday was looking strangely busy until 2 of my 3 appointments cancelled on me.  It was a cold day and I was glad for the excuse to stay warm at home.  With some time on my hands I went into a frenzy preparing dinners for the rest of the week...and beyond.  I slow cooked up a split green pea ham hock soup, made a chilli con carne, and made a family chicken pie, as my trusty Edmunds cook book calls it.  It's basically a chicken pot pie.  With bacon.  I was able to freeze several helpings of the soup and chilli, as well as putting some in the fridge for later in the week.  Satisfaction is being able to come home on a cold day and knowing there is a meal waiting in the freezer that just needs defrosting and heating on the stove top.  To add some sugar to life, I prepared apple pikelets for an afternoon tea guest and used the left over pastry from the chicken pie for a berry/apple tart for dinner.  I couldn't help making an egg vanilla custard to go with this - and ate more than I should have for dessert tonight.  This was not quite an all day affair, but it definitely took a large portion of the afternoon.  I wonder how parents do it with kids under their feet?  I guess I'll be finding out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment