Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baby oh baby of mine

Every time I greet someone they say: how are you feeling? And they have this special look in their eye.  Like they're really concerned about me.  It actually bothers me a little bit, I mean, do they really want to know all the ins and outs? Their worst response is: oh, that's normal for a pregnant woman.  <Well, buddy, I KNOW IT'S NORMAL, but you asked so I told you>  Sheesh.  Of course, there are plenty of people who don't respond that way too, and all anyone is trying to do is love on me so it shouldn't annoy me so.  Perhaps I'm just easily annoyed.  Here's the long response for those of you who would like to look at me with that twinkle but are just too far away.

We were relieved to find out that although I'm a carrier of cystic fibrosis, Jbird is not so the baby will not be born with it.  Had he also been a carrier, the baby would have had a 50:50 chance of being born with CF.  I'm a bit mad that I had to go through that at all.  It was a needless test, in my opinion, which nobody I know has had done.  I wish I'd just had the guts to say: No thanks, we won't have that test.  I admit that I'd probably feel differently had Jbird also been a carrier.  And it's kind of interesting to know that I am at all.  But there are a million other diseases in the world.  Aren't we risking all by having a child in the first place?

I think I'm finally used to sleeping on my side and have been sleeping really well, except for the odd leg cramp here or there.  I've learnt to hold my foot to stop it from pointing which seems to stop the cramp from setting in.  Before I knew to do this, it would take a while for the cramp to ease up and my legs would ache the next day.  I've been drinking lots more water as I hear that should help that problem.

I wake up quite achy, and feel achy around my lower back if I sit or stand in the same place for too long.  When I'm active, I feel great, so I try to remember to move often.  I have found that I waddle a little bit for the first few steps after sitting or lying still which I think is kind of funny and now I know why pregnant women do that move - I'm not that heavy, just sore. 

I'm exercising as much as I can.  The swimming has been really easy and quite fun.  The half hour I assign myself zooms by so now I'm up to 50 minutes, swimming 1.5 km.  I have to be careful not to push myself at the end too much as it can makes me too tired.  I have just graduated into the maternity swim suit.  The first time I wore it, I hadn't swum for a while and I felt like a whale.  Both because I was slower, and because of the size of the togs.  I'm still biking around quite comfortably, although I lose my breath on the hills. 

I've put away a lot of clothes that don't fit me any more but I'm still wearing many every day clothes.  The pants are definitely tighter and harder to get on and many of my tops are getting almost too short.  For a while, my changing body shape really bothered me.  Partly because my baby bump wasn't very obvious so I just felt lumpy and fat.  I also didn't like how my thighs and back were getting...well...thicker.  It doesn't help that I eat anything sweet that I set my eyes on and have massive feelings for guilt all the time.  I try to wear clothes that aren't just baggy, but are feminine as well which I think helps me feel better

I can't believe how quickly these few months have gone.  We are due in just three months!  It is neat to feel the baby kicking and moving all the time.    I could go on about my symptoms and ailments because it seems as though one's whole body changes pregnancy, but I won't.  I will say that I think that despite the harder things, this must be an easy pregnancy.  There are even still times when I don't feel pregnant at all.  

Here are some photos from the second scan we had to have because they couldn't get a clear view of her spinal chord during the first one.  Can you see her foot outline in the second photo?  She'd been playing with it during the scan and this was taken just after she let go.  Yawning, drinking, hiccuping, and playing.  She's nearly two pounds, active, and developing quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment