Thursday, February 14, 2013

Another reason for cake

I love any excuse to bake a cake. I saw the impending V. day as opportunity to do so. We decided to celebrate two days early as V. day itself was going to be too hectic to find a moment together.  Using the Death by Chocolate book I got out of the library, and used for my birthday cake, I went for a white and semisweet chocolate raspberry cake.  It looked amazing in the book but I was disappointed by the cake's texture - too thick and dense.  Almost like a white brownie.  Perhaps I baked it too long?  However, it was really fun to ice with the raspberry cream cheese icing - I love slathering on icing - and looked very pretty and suitably coloured for V. day.  

To add to the celebrations, Jbird and I made chocolate covered strawberries together.  He was inspired to make little tuxedo dressed strawberries.  We used an online tutorial to give us decorating tips.  These were far yummier than the cake and made for a nicely interactive activity for two tired souls struggling to think up interesting dates.  They were also cheaper than the going rate, if you're going to buy them pre-covered as a gift.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! You guys are so resourceful - What a fab idea, those strawberries look amazing and so..o.o inviting! Happy Valintines!
    We also celebrated a day early because we wanted to see Lincoln and it wasn't on, on the Thursday night, so we went out to dinner at Blitz down the road the night before and had a lovely meal with a bottle of red wine. The movie wasn't on until 9pm and I was a bit dozey after the wine the first half, but I snapped out of it for the second half!

    ReplyDelete