Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A change to my letters

I have been waiting since October to find out whether I have completed all the requirements to graduate with a Masters of Education.  The first half of the degree was completed at a different university, ten years ago, has since been discontinued, and offered some questionable classes (i.e.: where they at the Masters level?) so there was some question as to whether I could use it or whether I would need to do another year of study.  The university had told me about a year ago - after signing off on it and then re-questioning it - that it would qualify.  However, I felt sceptical about whether they would remember and/or hold to that decision.  In short, I didn't want to let myself relax until they finalised it just in case my hopes were dashed.  As Jbird says, I am prone to: When in doubt, panic.  He is the opposite, the lucky guy, being more prone to: When in doubt, stop thinking about it.

I got a letter from my university today.  It tells me that not only do I qualify, I also passed with distinction.  This is an unexpected added bonus - I hadn't done so well on two of the four classes, only receiving B+s, and was sure I wouldn't qualify for the distinction.

So now the letters will change.  I was Annabel J. Short.  Then I became Annabel J. Short, B.Ed., Post Grad. Dip. Ed. (Music).  That last segment was so confusing.  Nobody ever knew what it meant and I was forever explaining: it's half a Masters in teaching music.  I can go back and finish the Masters whenever I want to.  Despite the confusion, it got me two great music teaching jobs just when I wanted and needed them.  

NOW I am Annabel J. Bird (nee Short), B.Ed., M.Ed. (Teaching and Learning).  A little more distinguished and a little simpler.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Ha! Just like his father - Dad always wants to join in the worrying but he always forgets to!!
    Congratulations Annabel what a clever hard working daughter you are! What a fantastic effort and result! We are so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete