Friday, February 15, 2013

The moral of the story

I was reminded today of the fable of the wind and the sun as I walked home in the <glorious> sun* while snow flakes danced around me. Do you know the story?  

The wind and the sun are having a discussion about who is the strongest.  Eventually, they decide to measure their strength against the other.  Far below them a man is walking along the street wearing a jacket.  The wind says Do you see that man there?  I'm sure that just one gust of my breath will blow that jacket right off that man.  They decide to take turns trying and the wind goes first.  He blows and he blows, trying as hard as he can to force the jacket off the man's shoulders.  The harder he blows, the tighter the man pulls his jacket into him.  Eventually the wind gives up.  I was wrong, he says, I guess I'm not as strong as I thought I was.  Let me have a turn, says the sun.  Slowly he starts peaking out from behind a cloud, letting his heat grow stronger on the earth far below.  The man feels hot and quickly removes his jacket. 

*I want to clarify that it wasn't the sun we see on a common summer's day, or even in the spring or autumn.  In fact the rays were very weak.  I think I had too many clothes on to benefit from any vitamin D that might have been emitted.  But any day with any sunshine is better than a day without at this time of the year.  In my opinion.  I was pleased to pull the zip of my jacket down as I warmed up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment