Monday, December 3, 2012

The start of a journey

I have recently been reading about the health benefits of sourdough and it has become my personal mission to try and bake it myself.  Regularly.  I've made a starter.  I added yeast to mine because I didn't know any better, but a true starter is made with flour that has been fermenting in water.  I think yeast grows in this naturally from your fridge/household.  I figure that the longer I can keep my starter alive, the more natural the yeast will become.

My first loaf was TERRIFIC.  Beautifully holey in the middle and crunchy on the outside.  But it was a white flour recipe - a sure fire way to make sure your bread rises is to use white flour.  I made my second loaf out of only wheat flour and found that it rose very nicely because I left it long enough, but it lacked the texture of my first loaf.  This may be because I forgot to spritz it with water which I have been informed creates the outside crunch and the inside texture - or it may be because I barely used any white flour.  I have my third loaf rising as we speak - it needs 12-15 hours for the first rise.  It's another white bread from a slightly different recipe, but I may turn it into cinnamon and raisin bread when I form the loaf.  I'm really excited about this process, it's the oomph I needed to get myself baking our bread again.

2 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like a lot of baking! I'm somewhat hesitant to try yeast recipes because I always seem to get a bad batch of yeast or it just doesn't rise properly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it takes some practice, too. Like making sure you don't add water that is too hot = yeast dies. I have been finding sourdough to be really easy though, and there are lots of online tutorials.

    ReplyDelete