Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A great loaf

I came across this video which shows an amazing technique for kneading bread dough and I realised I needed some more lessons and lots of practice.  So I got the book Tartine out of the library which focusses on country breads (i.e.: sourdough or bread the way it used to be made).  My first comment to Jbird on opening it was This book has too many words and not enough recipes but I soon realised that I was wrong.  The words were spent on teaching a person like me the reasons behind what can be done with/too bread.  It's teaching me about considering ingredients in ratios and weight, kneading and resting and kneading and resting, cooking vessels, moisture, and temperature.  The authors of Tartine actually ferment their starter on the bench at room temperature but it requires feeding several times a day if one is to do this.  I am not dedicated enough for such a big commitment and shall continue to keep mine in the fridge.  I'm also afraid my flour bill will go through the roof.

It was exciting to pull a large loaf out of the oven today knowing I still have a ways to go and that it still isn't the perfect loaf, but feeling a little bit closer to my goal.  Jbird thought it had a great crumb and crunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment