Sunday, December 16, 2012

I've been swimming up a storm

While Mum-the-midwife was here, we were talking about how once they're pregnant, feeling heavier and more tired, women are often inclined to becoming a couch potato.  We came to the conclusion that this is not helpful for the baby or yourselfBeing fit helps when giving birth - compare it to running a marathon - and has lots of positive benefits while you're actually pregnant.  When Jbird heard me mention that I'd love to be able to swim again now that I'm pregnant (and I have more time on my hands), he suggested we do everything we can to find a pool for me to use.  So we did.  And I am.  I went three times last week and twice the week before.  It's a lovely thing to do in my more empty days.  The only thing that had me hesitate is the current season - I didn't fancy biking around with wet hair when it's super cold out. So far that hasn't been a problem.  My hat is warm enough to keep out the tiniest bit of a breeze and we've been having some very mild weather again.  The one day it was really cold, it was also raining, so I just flagged my swim that day and went the next.  It turns out I enjoy the bike ride there and back too - it's only 15 minutes away and gets me warmed up for the pool.  

Have you been lap swimming much? I get really obsessed with counting my laps.  The only way I can do it is by swimming one style a certain distance.  At the moment I rotate between breast stroke, freestyle, and back stroke; swimming four laps each.  This short distance keeps me motivated to keep going because I find I move through them quite quickly.  I was very confused about how far I was swimming until I finally looked up the length of the pool.  I had thought it must be a 15 metre pool which meant that my 40 or so laps were only 600 metres.   I figured I must be slow because of all that extra weight at my belly (and on my thighs and...well, you get the idea).  Turns out it's 25 yards (around 23 metres) and my 44 laps were a kilometre! This is a much nicer figure to brandy around.  I could actually tell people I swam a K today instead of just I went swimming.  Of course, most people probably aren't quite sure what a 'K' is because this place works in miles but that's okay.  Hopefully it sounds even more impressive to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment