Monday, December 17, 2012

Chewy caramels

I had this sudden desire to try making caramel candies.  I don't know why.  I shouldn't be adding more lollies to my diet, but the idea of the texture and pouring gooey caramel had me transfixed.  It turns out it's really easy - if you have a good recipe and are committed to staying by the stove top while the caramel cooks.  Unfortunately my first recipe called for an entire teaspoon of salt.  At first I thought we could eat it anyway but Jbird soon convinced me they were too salty.  We threw that batch out.  Jbird also thinks caramels are strange alone, suggesting they need to be paired with chocolate or something else, but I was really craving a plain chewy caramel.  Similar to macintosh toffees at home.

Here's a good recipe I've adapted from a few different recipes:
1 cup cream
2/3 cup white sugar 
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar (I used dark brown and it was still very yummy)
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all these ingredients in a heavy bottom pot and stir constantly over a medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.  Wipe down sides of pot with a heat proof wet spatula. Leave to boil until it comes to 245 degrees Fahrenheit (118 degrees Celsius).  Move off the heat and stir in the vanilla.  Pour into a small dish, mine was about 8cm by 18cm (3inches by 7 inches).  Leave to cool over night.  Cut and wrap individually in grease proof paper.  

I can't eat all that caramel and put small handfuls into cookie bags to add to presents I'm compiling for Christmas.  I hope I'm not the only one that likes caramel and I hope they don't melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment