Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A continuation of the sourdough journey

I haven't eaten store bought bread since I last wrote about making sourdough as our staple bread.  Because of my desire to practice and try different recipes, I only make one small loaf at a time, about twice a week.  Unfortunately most recipes call for much larger quantities.  It may seem easy to halve a recipe, but they also call for varying techniques which I don't always notice in time, so I'm often ad libbing what needs doing (with mixed success).  For example, some recipes suggest making a sponge with the starting and leaving it to grow over night, incorporating most of the flour in the morning.  Others suggest combining all of the ingredients to rise overnight.  Or proof as they call it here.  Many call for extra yeast alongside the starter but I'm trying to go without adding any more yeast so I tend to ignore that.  Mostly it works out fine.  I haven't yet been very successful with my whole wheat breads.  They come out a little bit like vogel* and are very delicious toasted, but I would like to see them rise to be as lovely and soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside as my white breads.  

There are a few things I forget which I need to try and remember which may help my journey. Salt is at the top of that list.  I don't know how but I often forget to add this to the ingredients, leaving the bread somewhat flavourless.  I also forget to slash the dough before putting it into the oven.  I think it rises better when slashed, and is not likely to gain an empty air bubble which I have seen on occasion.  I forget to spritz the dough with water before (and at least once during) baking.  This adds to the crunchy texture and great crumb.  It's a must.  I am a bit absent minded these days and sometimes forget to follow through with whichever step of rising I'm up to. I left bread rising in the oven over night last night which I had meant to bake yesterday evening.  This only left time for a 40 minute second rise this morning, instead of an hour or two.

My most successful bread so far was a white sweet and buttery brioche.  Light and delicious, I can't get enough of it.

*vogel = a popular take on German bread made in NZ.  Full of holes, and delicious textures.  The butter drips through when toasted.  Missed my many an expatriate Kiwi.  I brought 6 loaves home with me from New Zealand last year thanks to my in-laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment