Sunday, June 24, 2012

Slightly shady neighbourhood

There was a shooting at our pool last week. That is, the pool here, at our apartment complex.  I was told someone accidentally shot their hand while cleaning their gun but the article says otherwise.  It sounds like a case of someone looked at someone else wrong.  I grew up in Avondale and lived in Baltimore so perhaps I'll be alright.

While gossiping about the incident with our maintenance man, I learned that anyone can own a gun here.  As long as they have had no criminal convictions, they're able to get a licence.  I'm not super thrilled to hear that.  Do law makers not realise what guns do?  The recent shooting of Trayvon Martin comes to mind, as well as a host of other incidents.  Not that there aren't guns in New Zealand.  They're just not generally legal except on the farm or for hunting.  Here, I have a friend who keeps one under their bed for self defence. 

This incident doesn't really affect me.  I will still swim, I don't feel closely related to the incident or nervous in anyway.  To end on a good note, I finally found a local newspaper online that doesn't charge me to read it while searching for information. 

I'm not normally so politically minded in this space.  Please feel free to tell me how it really is. 

5 comments:

  1. I spoke too soon. Online newspaper is not free. Unless you want to read the university one which we get anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is insane. Americans are screwed up on guns, go you for saying it out loud! Stay safe babe xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. well...not too insane, just weird. Though the blood splatters are a little surreal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeep this is terrifying!!! O_O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I guess I'm still processing it. There are blood splatters on the concrete!

    ReplyDelete