Monday, June 25, 2012

Mixing up a treat

On the weekend, it is my habit to want an R-rated drink late afternoon.  We have the fixings for gin and tonics, it was our favourite drink last summer and I think I bought more just out of habit this year.  Mum got us two bottles of gin coming through duty free last April, and we've bought at least two more since.  Please.  No more G&Ts.

Instead, I emptied the remainder of Jbird's orange juice - around 1/4 cup, about a shot of vodka, a little less Gin, and a single serving sized bottle of tonic with some ice. It was a very pleasant drink.  I thought it would taste too alcoholy but vodka is subtle.  The surprise came when I realised it was a twist on the Grandma-Kirkby favourite - orange and Sprite.  She was a teatotaller, and it was the drink us grandkids associated with any type of function at her house.   Did your grandma serve the same?

I think I'm going to call it the dirty granny. 

4 comments:

  1. Hahahhahahahaaaa the "dirty granny" is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I was a little worried it would be taken the wrong way but it really was a dirty granny! Being a memory from my childhood, I drank it too fast too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny, Annabel! It was so good to catch up with you tonight. :) The time always flies. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to see you too, Mel! Safe travels. xx

    ReplyDelete