Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What do you believe?

I heard the Australian Ambassador to the US on NPR* yesterday.  He was giving advice to those interested in entering politics as a career.  He asked: What do you believe? In summary, he was suggesting that if you don't know what you believe and you are merely entering politics as a career, you could become a dangerous person.  I guess if you don't believe anything in particular, you won't stick to your guns over particular issues but will instead take whatever seems the best option at the time.

What do you believe? It's a pretty heady question.  Are they your guns you're sticking to, or has someone swayed you otherwise?  Do you stand in ovation because you truly thought the music was beautiful or because everyone around you is standing?  Do you go places because others were there first?  Buy things because others are buying them?  Love things because others love them? What's your passion?  I'd really like to know.  xx

*National Public Radio

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about this! About how on some big theological issues I don't actually know what I believe. And I was wondering if that's ok sometimes, like do I have to have a fixed opinion on everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, unless you're fighting for something you don't really believe in. Then, I think you should stop and think about that a bit.

    ReplyDelete