Friday, September 27, 2013

He blew them all out

We finally had Jbird's birthday cake I wrote about recently.  Remember? I made a red velvet using beet root* instead of red food colouring.  I had to freeze it as we had the cake cutting a whole week after his birthday.  I was pretty nervous about taking this particular cake and feeding it to other people so I ended up making regular cream cheese icing* with plenty of icing sugar*.  This way if the cake was a complete flop, the icing would mask that.  My original plan had been to make a swiss meringue cream cheese icing using turbinado sugar because it used a lot less sugar than regular cream cheese icing uses.  Unfortunately when I tested it, I found that the turbinado stained the icing brown and I didn't have time to come up with another solution.  In my opinion, red velvet cake is complemented by stark white icing.

Well.  What can I say?  The icing was delicious.  And full of sugar.  The cake itself tasted like beet root.  But not in a really horrible way, it's just that beet root isn't what you plan on when baking a cake.  It certainly didn't taste anything like chocolate which I think is the point of red velvet cake.  It was also denser than I had hoped.  I think it needed to be eaten the same day it was made. From now on I'm going to save my lower sugar baking for home.  Lesson learned.
 
*beets
*frosting
*powdered or confectioner's sugar


No comments:

Post a Comment